The area has been occupied since prehistoric times. The ruins of the town Non Mueang date from the D
The establishment of the district was announced in the Royal Gazette on 3 August 1943, originally including tambons Chum Phae, Si Suk, Non Han, and Khua Riang,[1] which were later divided into 10 tambons.
In 1965 the northeastern part of the district was split off to form Si Chomphu district. In 1981 the western portion of the district formed the district Phu Pha Man district.
Play Old chumphae district · All community maps · WorldGuessr, a free GeoGuessr alternative